Skip to main content

FIELD NOTES: Baseball realignment not quite a homerun

Die-hard baseball fans have known for a couple of years that a significant restructuring of the minor leagues was coming this season, pending a renegotiation of the master agreement with the majors. It was understood that 40 or so of the less-viable teams would be contracted, with each Major League team claiming one squad in Triple-A, Double-A, High-A, and Low-A for a total of 120 minor league affiliates. There was also speculation about a geographic realignment of the leagues to reduce travel costs and facilitate roster moves to and from the parent teams. The extent to which this realignment occurred was a surprise to many, though, myself included.

The Charlotte Knights, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox, have played in the International League (IL) since their elevation to Triple-A in 1989. Under the new alignment, the IL is gone, replaced by the generically named Triple-A East. The Knights will play in the Southeast Division of the Triple-A East, along with their former IL rivals the Durham Bulls, Gwinnett Stripers, and Norfolk Tides. Three new teams, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, Nashville Sounds, and Memphis Redbirds, will join them. Nashville and Memphis came over from the also-disbanded Pacific Coast League, and Jacksonville was promoted from Double-A.

Aside from the fact the Knights will now regularly play a team called the Jumbo Shrimp, this seems like a pretty good arrangement. As a “traditionalist,” I’m not happy they eliminated the International League, which was older than the American League, but I hold out a flicker of hope the “Triple-A East” moniker is just a placeholder and a better name for the league will be forthcoming. Heck, even “Eastern League” would be less generic. 

The 2021 schedule was also just released and, while it is absurd, we’ll give it the benefit of the doubt as a nod to the impact of COVID-19. The Knights will only play teams from within their division this season, and the number of games with each team is all over the place. They will play Jacksonville a whopping 42 times (get ready to hear Jumbo Shrimp a lot), but Nashville just 12 times. They don’t play Memphis at all. That kind of schedule disparity could lead to some interesting (as in controversial) results. A limited number of fans will be allowed at Charlotte’s Truist Field, 700 for the opening series with Durham that starts April 13. That number should increase as the season progresses and the pandemic (hopefully) wanes. 
 

Of course, if you aren’t interested in the Knights, you have several other options. The Cannon Ballers will christen their brand new stadium in downtown Kannapolis on May 4, and teams in Columbia, Hickory, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Fayetteville are all less than a two-hour drive from Wadesboro.

Note: After this article was completed, the start of the Triple-A season was pushed back to May.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIELD NOTES: Random Cohabitation

In July of 1980, I received an invitation in the mail. It was from someone named Rod Smith, who introduced himself as my residence hall advisor for the upcoming fall quarter at Ohio University. He invited me to a "small get-together" at his house in Perrysburg for the incoming first-year students on his floor. I'll give Rod credit for trying, but I was the only person on that floor within reasonable driving distance, and I wasn't going to miss a night of work to attend his party. In retrospect, that might have been shortsighted of me. Except for a couple of high-school buddies who roomed together, no one on the first floor of James Hall that September had met or even communicated with anyone else until we showed up a day or two before classes. Apparently, that's not how it's done these days. I stumbled across a lengthy article from the Ohio University student newspaper, The Post, detailing how to go about selecting and vetting a roommate through social media....

FRIDAY MATINEE: Midnight Mass (🍺🍺🍺🍺)

I held off writing this review until I had seen all seven episodes of the new Netflix limited series “Midnight Mass.” I’ve been burned in the past by shows that start out well and then devolve into silliness as they progress. While “Mass" doesn’t completely stick the landing, I think even the East German judge would give it a solid 9. Taken as a whole, I think it is as effective a piece of horror as the combined “It” movies from a few years ago, and right on par with “Hereditary” and “Midsommar.”  The story revolves around a man returning to his childhood island home after a prison stay for a drunk driving accident that killed a teen girl. Coincidentally, it is the same day the island’s beloved elderly priest, Monsignor Pruitt is supposed to return from a trip to the Holy Land. Unfortunately, the priest has taken ill and is being treated on the mainland. A temporary priest arrives to take his place.  The story takes a little while to get going, and anyone who’s familiar with t...

FIELD NOTES: A Lesson From The Cubby

There is a shelf, it's a cubby really, in our walk-in closet where I keep my everyday carry items; watch, change, wallet, pen, pocket knife, keys, etc. Invariably, when I empty my pockets at night, I dump any receipts, ticket stubs, scribbled notes, and candy wrappers I collected during the day onto that same shelf. Typically, I will gather all those up, sort the keepers and dispose of the trash every couple of weeks.  For whatever reason, though, over the past few months, I let the pile grow without culling, and when I took advantage of this rainy weekend past to do some indoor projects, cleaning up that cubby was near the top of the list.  As a general rule, I don't wax rhapsodic about cleaning out my closet, but as I was sorting through the debris, which by the nature of gravity and stacking was in roughly chronological order, I had an opportunity to revisit the highlights of what was a relatively normal summer after a couple of pandemic-induced outliers.    The t...