Skip to main content

FIELD NOTES: On field notes

If you have ever tried Googling my writing, you are probably aware that the term “Field Notes” is not unique to my weekly column. It is, in fact, the name of a printing company in Chicago that produces a series of pocket-size notebooks with very cool cover graphics. Although I use that company’s products, and many of these columns originate as ideas, notations, and doodles in the pages of those notebooks, that’s not where the name of my column originated. 

In my short story “The Bug Jar” from my first book, “The Bug Jar and Other Stories,” the protagonist, a young boy named Josh, keeps a journal of his “experiments” on lightning bugs in a spiral notebook. On the cover, he has carefully printed the words “Field Notes.” I have no idea why I chose those particular words, although I suppose I was trying to represent his scientific aspirations. That story was written in the late ’90s, long before I knew of the notebooks. Indeed, the printing company wasn’t established until 2007, so there is no way I could have subconsciously channeled that brand identity into my work.  

The Field Notes brand owes its name to the small notebooks given free to farmers as promotions by agricultural supply companies through the latter part of the 20th century. These roughly 3″ X 5″ booklets, which often featured elaborate cover art, slipped quickly into a shirt pocket and helped keep track of important information around the farm: weather, rainfall, planting dates, prices, etc. The inside of the covers often contained information relevant to the product or service promoted. A fertilizer company, for instance, might include a chart showing the standard application rates for different types of crops, or a manufacturer of drive belts might print part numbers and sizes. It’s easy to imagine these booklets in little stacks on the counters of local co-ops and feed stores or being handed out by salesmen as they visited farm after farm.  

Field Notes, the printing company, has an entire page on its website devoted to displaying its impressive collection of these booklets. While some of the older ones are very basic, with just the company name and the word “Memo” or “Ledger” printed on the front, the ones from the ’40s and ’50s are a master class in mid-century graphic design with bold colors, beautiful logos and detailed illustrations. A few are even die-cut to represent the product’s shape, like a snuff can or a tobacco leaf.  

With fewer young people finding their way into farming and corporate agriculture and automation threatening to all but eliminate the small family farm, looking back on these notebooks and the lifestyle they represented is a bittersweet experience. Farming has never been a glamorous endeavor, and it’s certainly not an easy one, but less than 100 years ago, one-third of the U.S. population earned their living from the land. That number today hovers around 1 percent. The average farmer today is nearly 58 years old – sobering food for thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIELD NOTES: Random Cohabitation

In July of 1980, I received an invitation in the mail. It was from someone named Rod Smith, who introduced himself as my residence hall advisor for the upcoming fall quarter at Ohio University. He invited me to a "small get-together" at his house in Perrysburg for the incoming first-year students on his floor. I'll give Rod credit for trying, but I was the only person on that floor within reasonable driving distance, and I wasn't going to miss a night of work to attend his party. In retrospect, that might have been shortsighted of me. Except for a couple of high-school buddies who roomed together, no one on the first floor of James Hall that September had met or even communicated with anyone else until we showed up a day or two before classes. Apparently, that's not how it's done these days. I stumbled across a lengthy article from the Ohio University student newspaper, The Post, detailing how to go about selecting and vetting a roommate through social media....

FRIDAY MATINEE: Midnight Mass (๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ)

I held off writing this review until I had seen all seven episodes of the new Netflix limited series “Midnight Mass.” I’ve been burned in the past by shows that start out well and then devolve into silliness as they progress. While “Mass" doesn’t completely stick the landing, I think even the East German judge would give it a solid 9. Taken as a whole, I think it is as effective a piece of horror as the combined “It” movies from a few years ago, and right on par with “Hereditary” and “Midsommar.”  The story revolves around a man returning to his childhood island home after a prison stay for a drunk driving accident that killed a teen girl. Coincidentally, it is the same day the island’s beloved elderly priest, Monsignor Pruitt is supposed to return from a trip to the Holy Land. Unfortunately, the priest has taken ill and is being treated on the mainland. A temporary priest arrives to take his place.  The story takes a little while to get going, and anyone who’s familiar with t...

FIELD NOTES: War on ice

On February 15, 1978, Leon Spinks shocked the sports world, beating defending heavyweight boxing champion Mohammed Ali in a nationally-televised fight. Although Ali was entering the twilight of his career and Spinks had won the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics, no one gave the young fighter much of a chance against the man considered "The Greatest." Most saw it as a warm-up fight for Ali as he prepared to take on the top-ranked contender, Ken Norton. So, it was perhaps a little surprising that more than one-third (34.4 TV rating) of Americans tuned in to CBS to watch the contest. Our household was one of those, even though none of us was a huge boxing fan. Just a few days earlier, though, my whole family, along with millions of others in the Midwest, had spent nearly a week trapped in our house without electricity due to the Blizzard of '78; millions suffering from a bad case of cabin fever and desperately needing the distraction.   In the early days of the COVID pandemic...