Skip to main content

FIELD NOTES: In praise of the gofer

This past weekend, I was browsing through some posts on a Facebook page dedicated to Ohio’s Lake Erie Islands. I grew up on the nearby mainland and visited the islands frequently as a kid. While I find many aspects of “island life” fascinating, a particular post on Saturday drove home one specific challenge of that lifestyle that would be a non-starter for me. The poster asked whether anyone on Middle Bass Island had some polyurethane sealant they could sell to him. He was trying to finish a project and had run out. Sounds familiar. More often than I like to admit, I will begin a project, then discover midway through that I lack the nut, bolt, screw, wire, paint, or tool I need to finish the job. Fortunately, my local hardware store is just a few minutes away, so while I may grumble about having to get into the truck and drive all the way there and back, the whole trip is maybe a half-hour. I can’t imagine that trip being, as for the island resident, a half DAY. Or perhaps I can … 

Near the top of the list of complaints I compiled about my first attempt at rural homesteading in the mid-80s, the “Little House on the Highway,” was its, well, ruralness. Situated on U.S. Hwy. 25, about halfway between Perrysburg and Bowling Green, Ohio, the closest retail establishment was a Tractor Supply I only entered once (for reasons humorously recounted in this essay) seven miles away. Everything else was at least a 10-mile drive. Now, 10 miles doesn’t sound THAT far, but by the time you drive to the store, find what you need and drive back, it’s an hour out of the day.

It helped a little to have a wife who was accustomed to playing the role of “gofer.” Janet’s father was the “neighborhood mechanic” who often sent his daughter into town to retrieve a starter for a ’78 Buick or an alternator for a ’72 Dodge. But that was also the problem. While Janet’s dad could tell her precisely the part he needed, I often could not. You see, like my father and his father before him, I subscribe to the theory of “eyeball engineering”; I cannot describe exactly what I need, but I know it when I see it. That led to conversations like this: 

“Honey, I need you to run into town and get me something I can use to attach this piece of wood vertically to this other piece of wood.” 

“You mean like a bracket?”

“Yeah, maybe … something like that.”

Spoiler alert!!! That homestead was not a great success. 

These days, I run most of my errands myself, and on those occasions when I have Janet pick something up for me, she insists on a full description with the model number and preferably a picture. Mobile phones can be lifesavers! Which kind of gets me thinking; wouldn’t an app – think of it as GrubHub for hardware – be pretty useful? An internet search reveals that  gofer.com is “under construction,” so maybe …


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIELD NOTES: Random Cohabitation

In July of 1980, I received an invitation in the mail. It was from someone named Rod Smith, who introduced himself as my residence hall advisor for the upcoming fall quarter at Ohio University. He invited me to a "small get-together" at his house in Perrysburg for the incoming first-year students on his floor. I'll give Rod credit for trying, but I was the only person on that floor within reasonable driving distance, and I wasn't going to miss a night of work to attend his party. In retrospect, that might have been shortsighted of me. Except for a couple of high-school buddies who roomed together, no one on the first floor of James Hall that September had met or even communicated with anyone else until we showed up a day or two before classes. Apparently, that's not how it's done these days. I stumbled across a lengthy article from the Ohio University student newspaper, The Post, detailing how to go about selecting and vetting a roommate through social media....

FRIDAY MATINEE: Midnight Mass (๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ)

I held off writing this review until I had seen all seven episodes of the new Netflix limited series “Midnight Mass.” I’ve been burned in the past by shows that start out well and then devolve into silliness as they progress. While “Mass" doesn’t completely stick the landing, I think even the East German judge would give it a solid 9. Taken as a whole, I think it is as effective a piece of horror as the combined “It” movies from a few years ago, and right on par with “Hereditary” and “Midsommar.”  The story revolves around a man returning to his childhood island home after a prison stay for a drunk driving accident that killed a teen girl. Coincidentally, it is the same day the island’s beloved elderly priest, Monsignor Pruitt is supposed to return from a trip to the Holy Land. Unfortunately, the priest has taken ill and is being treated on the mainland. A temporary priest arrives to take his place.  The story takes a little while to get going, and anyone who’s familiar with t...

FIELD NOTES: War on ice

On February 15, 1978, Leon Spinks shocked the sports world, beating defending heavyweight boxing champion Mohammed Ali in a nationally-televised fight. Although Ali was entering the twilight of his career and Spinks had won the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics, no one gave the young fighter much of a chance against the man considered "The Greatest." Most saw it as a warm-up fight for Ali as he prepared to take on the top-ranked contender, Ken Norton. So, it was perhaps a little surprising that more than one-third (34.4 TV rating) of Americans tuned in to CBS to watch the contest. Our household was one of those, even though none of us was a huge boxing fan. Just a few days earlier, though, my whole family, along with millions of others in the Midwest, had spent nearly a week trapped in our house without electricity due to the Blizzard of '78; millions suffering from a bad case of cabin fever and desperately needing the distraction.   In the early days of the COVID pandemic...