Skip to main content

FIELD NOTES: Rejected!

In his song “Too Soon To Tell,” Todd Snyder sings, “I can still take rejection, but it does get harder to do.” Whether it’s a job interview, choosing sides for kickball, or that cute girl at the school dance, we’ve all experienced rejection, but I have to agree with Todd; it seems like it digs a little deeper and is a little more challenging as we collect miles on the odometer.  

I suspect that has to do with opportunity cost. As mentioned in my “Hall of Fame” column a couple of weeks ago, job-seeking, when I was 25, was a game of numbers. I applied for every job I was vaguely qualified for, and whatever rose to the surface stuck. If I interviewed with J. Crew, Graybar Electric or Abacus II (all of which I did, by the way) and struck out, well,  that was fine because I knew eventually I’d find something. These days, I have traveled so far down a relatively narrow path that only a handful of jobs open up each year, so each one is exponentially more important. 

The same goes for personal relationships. That cute girl saying “no, thank you” at the junior high dance stings a little, but there are a lot of fish in the sea. A school in Ogden, Utah, made headlines a couple of years ago because it required boys and girls who attended their Valentine’s Day soiree to say “yes” if they were asked to dance. Some parents were disturbed by this, saying it removed their children’s “agency.” As someone who didn’t get picked for kickball much and knew better than to ask a cute girl to dance, I’m not sure how to feel about that. There’s a part of me that always believed if I could just get a chance to show how charming and witty I am … But there’s also a part of me that wonders if it wouldn’t just engender false hope and make the ultimate disappointment even harder to take.  

When you become a writer, your life turns into one big junior high dance, except that you are required to ask every single cute girl to dance until one finally says “yes.” When I write an article, I generally have a publication or two in mind and a list of three or four less likely but still viable candidates. An article titled “A Homesteader’s Guide to Pocket Knives,” for instance would likely be written with “Backwoods Home” or “Mother Earth News” in mind, but with a bit of doctoring could also be pitched to “Men’s Journal” (“A Gentleman’s Guide to Pocket Knives”) or “Popular Mechanics” (“A Handyman’s Guide to Pocket Knives”).

Complicating matters, each publication has its own way of handling solicitations. “Backwoods Home” wants to see the whole article upfront, while “Mother Earth News” prefers a letter outlining the piece in two or three sentences. It’s a lot to go through for the opportunity to have your work dissected and your dreams crushed.  

The next line of that Todd Snyder song is, “I wish I could show you how you hurt me in a way that wouldn’t hurt you, too.” And that’s really the tricky part, isn’t it? We walk away from the dance, or the interview, or the mailbox with a hard little lump in our hearts, and if we cannot find a way to remove it, eventually, the whole heart goes hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIELD NOTES: Random Cohabitation

In July of 1980, I received an invitation in the mail. It was from someone named Rod Smith, who introduced himself as my residence hall advisor for the upcoming fall quarter at Ohio University. He invited me to a "small get-together" at his house in Perrysburg for the incoming first-year students on his floor. I'll give Rod credit for trying, but I was the only person on that floor within reasonable driving distance, and I wasn't going to miss a night of work to attend his party. In retrospect, that might have been shortsighted of me. Except for a couple of high-school buddies who roomed together, no one on the first floor of James Hall that September had met or even communicated with anyone else until we showed up a day or two before classes. Apparently, that's not how it's done these days. I stumbled across a lengthy article from the Ohio University student newspaper, The Post, detailing how to go about selecting and vetting a roommate through social media....

FRIDAY MATINEE: Midnight Mass (🍺🍺🍺🍺)

I held off writing this review until I had seen all seven episodes of the new Netflix limited series “Midnight Mass.” I’ve been burned in the past by shows that start out well and then devolve into silliness as they progress. While “Mass" doesn’t completely stick the landing, I think even the East German judge would give it a solid 9. Taken as a whole, I think it is as effective a piece of horror as the combined “It” movies from a few years ago, and right on par with “Hereditary” and “Midsommar.”  The story revolves around a man returning to his childhood island home after a prison stay for a drunk driving accident that killed a teen girl. Coincidentally, it is the same day the island’s beloved elderly priest, Monsignor Pruitt is supposed to return from a trip to the Holy Land. Unfortunately, the priest has taken ill and is being treated on the mainland. A temporary priest arrives to take his place.  The story takes a little while to get going, and anyone who’s familiar with t...

FIELD NOTES: War on ice

On February 15, 1978, Leon Spinks shocked the sports world, beating defending heavyweight boxing champion Mohammed Ali in a nationally-televised fight. Although Ali was entering the twilight of his career and Spinks had won the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics, no one gave the young fighter much of a chance against the man considered "The Greatest." Most saw it as a warm-up fight for Ali as he prepared to take on the top-ranked contender, Ken Norton. So, it was perhaps a little surprising that more than one-third (34.4 TV rating) of Americans tuned in to CBS to watch the contest. Our household was one of those, even though none of us was a huge boxing fan. Just a few days earlier, though, my whole family, along with millions of others in the Midwest, had spent nearly a week trapped in our house without electricity due to the Blizzard of '78; millions suffering from a bad case of cabin fever and desperately needing the distraction.   In the early days of the COVID pandemic...